Reopened historical café with local favourites on Selegie Road
First published on . Updated on 2 Nov 2012.
Dating back to 1924, when it was used as a Sunday social hotspot where colonial bigwigs mingled over meals and horse races, the Colonial Bistro Café has now reopened in its original location in the Ellison Building on Selegie Road. True to its heritage, the refurbished 50-seat café has old-school black-and-white chequered floor tiles, a preserved spiral staircase and a pool table. Historical charm is also reflected in the dishes, which includes the Louisianan- and Portuguese-inspired Colonial Chicken ($14.90) and local options like bak kuh teh ($7.90). There’s also a newly installed recreation room with cable TV for sports fans – just in time for the new Premier League football season.