1. When you can’t belly-shake anymore. Zumba, the latest global dance-fitness craze, is an intense, action-packed, fast-paced aerobic exercise whereby Latin dance and popular fitness routines combine to give you a full-on calorie-burning workout. From $79 per month (membership required). Available at California Fitness Raffles Club, 14/F Republic Plaza 2, 9 Raffles Pl (6534 0900, www.californiafitness.com). MRT: Raffles Place.
2. When you need to build strength not bulk. Kieser Training tailors a strength-training regimen that aims to solve current muscular problems and prevent future ones. Trainers customise specialised programmes (medical strengthening therapy or preventive strengthening) to suit individual needs. A medical evaluation is included with the basic subscription. From $1,600-$1,680 (membership required). Kieser Training Singapore, #01-02 Singapore Land Tower, 50 Raffles Pl (6323 3933, www.kieser-training.com.sg/en/). MRT: Raffles Place.
3. When you’re ready to take up the sword. Take a stab at being a classy swashbuckler with a beginner’s fencing class. Learn basic offence and defence skills, along with the history, rules and safety aspects of the sport. The course runs for four lessons and will equip you with enough knowledge to know the difference between a foil and a parry. $214 (every first Tue or Wed of the month, excl $53.50 registration fee). Z Fencing, #08-02/03 Eastgate, 46 East Coast Rd (6345 6063, www.zfencing.com). Buses: 15; #01-41/42 United Square Shopping Mall, 101 Thomson Rd (6352 6010). MRT: Newton.
4. When dancing is your cardio. Combine hip-shaking moves with deft hip swivels, and of course, fun arm movements in Bollyhoop. This innovative derivative of a childhood game combines hoop dance to bhangra tunes and engages the body in a full, and very tough, workout. You can bet you’ll have a stronger core and firmer control over specific muscles after a few sessions. From $10 per lesson. MPH Rooftop, Costa del Sol, 72 Bayshore Rd (9635 6457, www.bollyhoop.com). MRT: Bedok or Tanah Merah.
5. When Body Combat no longer cuts it. You got a glimpse of this full-contact martial art in Iron Man 2 and now you’re well pumped to try out those impressive striking and grappling moves. Strip down and get to work with the best at Fightworks Asia for some mixed martial arts. A $250 membership buys you unlimited access to classes, and the option of trying out Brazilian jiu-jitsu, muay thai, boxing and jeet kune do, should you need more than a MMA fix. From $250, or $35 for a drop-in class. 2F, Long Beach Seafood, 1018 East Coast Parkway (6449 9821, www.fightworksasia.com.sg). Take a taxi.
This first appeared as 'Fits and starts' in Jul 2010.